Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Nikki Nuckols of Doodle Dog Advertising

Posted by Meaghan Cody

Today we wanted to feature one of our favorite wedding professionals here in Dallas. Nikki is the owner of Doodle Dog Advertising, and is so talented in what she does. She focuses on branding for wedding pros here in the Dallas area and all over the country, and she also designs fabulous invitations! She recently helped us design a logo for Thursday Therapy and we are just so in love. Nikki is so full of life and a complete joy to be around. We are super excited that we have the opportunity to work with this talented and fun girl!

nikki_owner_doodledog

We had the opportunity to ask Nikki a few questions about herself and her business…enjoy! 

•     How did you get started in the Advertising business, and specifically with weddings?  
I originally moved to Texas from Iowa to go to school for Advertising. I have always had a passion for design and for being an entrepreneur, so strategic marketing and advertising was the perfect fit for me. I started Doodle Dog about a month after graduating from college, while also working full time at various ad agencies as an art director and later as a marketing coordinator and web-master. After a couple years of working full time and trying to build Doodle Dog my sister asked me to make her wedding invitations, and as they say the rest was history. I found my niche and knew it was time to leave the agencies behind and take Doodle Dog to the next level. So I added wedding stationery to my repertoire and started working with brides on their invitation sets and wedding/event professionals to help them develop, grow and reinvent their businesses from their logos to their websites and everything in between. Each project is different and I LOVE working with people who are as passionate as I am, whether it’s about their own wedding or their business.

   •    What is your typical day like as a Designer for Doodle Dog?
Long. Fulfilling. Never boring. I wake up at 5:15 every morning, pack my husband’s lunch, eat my cereal and get to work. I start with checking my email and answering as many as possible before the phone starts ringing. Starting at about 9 I either have a phone meeting, Skype meeting or an in-person meeting with various business owners or brides. Around noon I grab my blue monster and Jalapeno Cheetos and get back to the projects. I work until about 5 then head to the gym, do a little reading on the StairMaster, back home to eat some dinner, and then finish up a few of the projects I’ve been working on all day and send out files for review. My day normally ends around 10:30 or so.

   •    What would you say makes your style or personality unique from other Designers?
I think what sets me apart is the strategy and thought that I put into each project. I feel like each brand should represent the client and how they want to be portrayed in their industry. I want to put a smile on their faces and make them confident enough that they love the work as much as I enjoyed working on it for them.

   •    Favorite tips or advice for the bride and grooms to be?
Make it your own. Don’t follow the trends or your friend’s advice, let your wedding day reflect you and your future husband.

   •    Favorite tips or advice for the business owners?
I give business owners the same advice as a bride or groom. The only way you will be truly happy and be content with your branding and website is if you make it your own. Stay away from trends and don’t involve too many people in the branding process.

   •    When you aren’t working, what are some of your favorite things to do?
Going to the movies. Eating Mexican food. Watching train wreck reality TV shows like Teen Mom and Jersey Shore. Taking a bubble bath while listening to Bob Marley. Visiting Iowa. Being with my family.

   •    What are some of your favorite venues in the DFW area, and why?
Well since I got married at the Filter Building, I have to mention it, but I think it takes a certain person to love the Filter Building and it has to be someone who wants to start with a blank canvas, and that was exactly what I was looking for. I also love ThirdSpace, it is an excellent place right in the middle of Main Street and Frances is great to work with!

Check out some of Nikki’s incredible work below:

 DSC02595[1]    Picture_21 Picture_22 Picture_23 ebony[1]

1 comment:

  1. We love Nikki and the Doodle Dog team! Fabulous company who produces amazing work! We are proud owners of a Doodle Dog site & blog ourselves coming to your Mac or PC soon!

    ReplyDelete